DITMAS PARK – The April meeting of the 70th Precinct Community Council took place on Wednesday at 249 Caton Avenue. Commanding Officer Deputy Inspector James Palumbo had this to report:
- The incident at the Flatbush Stop and Shop on Tilden where an alleged shoplifter was detained by store employees, suffered a heart attack and died is being investigated by the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office to determine id any criminality was involved and no arrests have been made.
- There has been an increase in threats agains local schools made by students – threats to shoot up the school or bring explosives to school. DI Palumbo wants parents to know that while they will judge each case individually, they should know and tell their children that any and all such statements will be treated severely, and may be criminally prosecuted.
- Following the horrific car crash on Farragut and Foster that sent 8 people of 4 pedestrians to hospitals there will be increased traffic enforcement along Flatbush to reduce speeding. The crash was caused by a drunk driver at high speed, the driver was arrested and charged with driving under influence. While two of the individuals were taken in critical condition, all are expected to survive, Palumbo informed.
- There were 3 shootings in the last 4 weeks where someone was shot:
- On April 13, there was a double shooting on Flatbush at Tilden between rival members of Folk Nation and Bloods gangs. Two individuals were shot, including a 62 year old woman who was shot in her cheek while walking with her niece and nephew and was not the intended target. The parties discharged rounds right across the street from officers, who apprehended a shooter and recover a firearm, Palumbo said. According to him, this incident is part of an “ongoing timeline of violence between the Folk Nation and Bloods” gangs.
- On April 12, there was a narcotics related shooting on Regent and Flatbush, and an arrest was made this Tuesday, April 24.
- On March 31st, there was a homicide on Flatbush between Ditmas and Newkirk. Nathan Cummings, a 28 year old Newkirk Avenue neighbor was shot in neck and chest following a memorial for another gun violence victim at Rose Fantasy restaurant earlier that night. The case is still under investigation and no arrests have been made.
- Shots were fired on Tuesday night at Ocean Ave and Woodruff, Palumbo acknowledged, but no one was injured. (He did not mention shots that were fired at E21st and Albemarle on April 10, also no one was injured or any other shots that were fired in the district)
The next 70 Community meeting is on May 30th at Touro College on Avenue J at 7:00pm (right next to Avenue J subway stop). 70th Precinct community policing officers will be hosting their district meetings as follows, all meeting are at 7:00PM:
May 8 – District D – at St Paul’s Church
May 15 – District C – at 1001 Newkirk
May 23 – District A – Touro College
June 12 – District B – PS 152