WINDSOR TERRACE — Back in 2014 residents voted to fund a green roof for the Windsor Terrace Library as a priority, and Council member Brad Lander allocated $250,000 in funding through the participatory budget process (PBNYC). The project began in March, when library closed for about a month, and is now finally complete.
The 7,000 square foot roof is covered with shrubs, perennial ground-covers, and ornamental grasses. The new habitat for bees and insects also helps reduce storm water runoff helping keep those combined sewers e have from overflowing.
Other library related projects that have been recently funded through participatory budgeting in Council District 39 are:
- new computers at the Windsor Terrace and Carroll Gardens Libraries,
- new equipment for Kensington Library, and
- the recently opened reading circle and Storytime Garden at Park Slope Library.
Other funded but not yet constructed projects include:
- Overnight book drops at Carroll Gardens, Windsor Terrace, and Borough Park Libraries.
- A new teen space at Carroll Gardens Library.