Happy Labor Day! We hope everyone enjoys the final weekend of summer. If you’re sticking around town, here’s some information from the city on what’s open, what’s closed, and other useful items.
If you plan to attend J’Ouvert and the West Indian Day Parade on Monday, be sure to check out Bklyner’s post about the parade routes, street closures, and more.
• All government offices and courts are closed on Monday, September 2 in observance of Labor Day.
• There is no mail delivery on Monday.
• Alternate side parking is suspended Monday, September 2, and motorists do not have to pay the parking meters. No stopping, no standing and no parking regulations are suspended except where these regulations are in effect anytime or seven days a week.
• There is no garbage, recycling, or organics collection on Monday. If Monday is your garbage or organics pick-up day, put out your garbage and/or organics after 4pm on Monday, September 2. If Monday is your recycling day, wait until next week to put out these items on Sunday, September 8 (after 4pm) for collection on Monday, September 9.
• All branches of the Brooklyn Public Library are closed for the entire holiday weekend, from Saturday, August 31 through Monday, September 2.
• All NYC Public Schools are closed on Monday, September 2. The new school year begins on Thursday, September 5.
• On Labor Day, subways and buses will operate on a Sunday schedule. Note: see below or click here for MTA changes in Brooklyn on Monday related to the J’Ouvert and West Indian Day Celebrations.
- From 11am to 7pm, the Utica Ave-Crown Heights 3 & 4 station will have the following changes to prevent overcrowding on stairs and platforms: the stairways at Utica Ave will be entrance-only and the stairways at Schenectady Ave will be exit-only.
- Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum 2, 3, 4 station will be closed and bypassed in both directions from 6am to 8pm. The MTA recommends using the Grand Army Plaza or Franklin Ave stations instead.
- 4 trains will run local in Brooklyn between Atlantic Ave-Barclays Ctr and Utica Ave from 6am to 7pm.
- Buses that serve the area will be impacted by reroutes, detours, or frozen zones. Riders should expect bus detours and delays on the following routes: B12, B14, B17, B41, B43, B44, B44 SBS, B46, B46 SBS, B48, B49, B67 and B69.
Bklyner is taking Monday off. We’ll be back on Tuesday, September 3. Have a safe and relaxing Labor Day!