The 2-year-old boy rescued from a burning Marine Park home is in a medically induced coma at Kings County Hospital, CBS New York reports.
The fire started around 1:15 a.m. at a house near Avenue P and East 38th Street, according to the FDNY. Fire officials told CBS New York that the fire started inside the toddler’s bedroom and was caused by an air conditioner incorrectly plugged into an extension cord.
Video taken by MIDWOOD – FLATBUSH NEWS BLOG founder Mike Wright shows emergency responders swarming around the home.
After neighbors tried unsuccessfully to make it through the choking smoke to rescue the child, FDNY Lieutenant Victor Milukas smashed through the second story window to get into the bedroom of the 2-year-old.
Milukas told the news channel that he searched the burning mattress inside the bedroom but the boy, Chase Pierre, was not there.
“There was a pile of clothes on the floor,” Milukas said. “As I was searching the floor, I came across the lifeless infant.”
After being pulled from the burning home, paramedics took the boy to Beth Israel Hospital in critical condition. He was later transferred to Kings County Hospital to get more intense treatment for smoke inhalation, according to CBS New York.
Pierre was placed in a medically induced coma so his lungs could heal, the boy’s father told CBS New York.
The father, Jean Pierre, who works as an emergency room nurse, said his son was “doing better.”