This week, we talked to Alex at Alex’s Shoe Repair about leaving Newkirk Plaza, celebrated a gorgeous new mural at Umma Park, learned about the incredible Leo Lee, who’s been serving our community for more than 66 years, and much more.
Here’s a recap of what happened in our neighborhood:
- Three people were arrested after cops found a loaded gun & bullets in a fake Bible.
- After 20 years in Newkirk Plaza, Alex’s Shoe Repair will close for good on August 31.
- From the same spot on Coney Island Avenue, Leo Lee has been serving our community for 66 years.
- We celebrated a new mural designed & painted by hundreds of neighborhood kids.
- The Brooklyn Mela on Coney Island Avenue is today!
- Smorgasburg is coming to Prospect Park.
- Did you know 2,000 people are buried in Prospect Park?
- Councilman Mathieu Eugene & neighbors urged the DEP to address flooding in our area.
- Meet your best new friend at the “Kittenpalooza” on Cortelyou today.
- Neighbor Laolu Senbanjo on being Nigerian in America, his art exhibit at Bar Chord & more.
- Chef Auria Abraham shares her favorite summertime recipe — which is a whole lotta yum.
- Learn about Cynthia King Dance Studio at these free open houses.
- More car vandalism was reported in our neighborhood.
- The Foster Avenue Key Food celebrates its grand reopening.
And please send news tips, photos, and more to firstname.lastname@example.org.