To kick off your October, there’s much happening for you to do in and around the neighborhood this weekend – including a live burlesque performance at Sycamore, Sustainable Flatbush’s final workshop of the season, The Dad Beats’ album release party at Lark, and much more:
Thursday, October 2
• Join the Family of Light Holistic Center for timeline healing meditation, 7pm.
• Timeline healing meditation in Russian at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 8:15pm.
• Sycamore’s monthly LGBTQ party, Q Train, includes bingo, a live burlesque performance by Legs Malone, and music by DJ GoGo Gadget, starts at 8:30pm.
• Michael Louis performs funky rock ‘n roll at Bar Chord, 9pm.
Friday, October 3
• Sing-along with Lloyd H. Miller at Lark Cafe, 10 & 11am.
• Adults are welcome to join the computer lab at the Cortelyou Library, 11am.
• Brooklyn Historical Society presents “We the People” The Citizens of NYCHA in Pictures and Words,” an exhibition that aims to debunk the varied stigmas and stereotypes applied to people living in NYCHA housing. The exhibition will continue through March 2015 and can be viewed Wednesday through Sunday from 12-5pm.
• Come to Prospect Park’s Audubon Center for a free cardio toning class, 12pm.
• Meet fellow moms and dads at the New Parent Meet-Up, Lark, 1pm.
• Kids can attend Blooming Naturalists at the Prospect Park’s Audubon Center, 1-2pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• … followed by Nature on the Go, also at the Audubon Center, 2-3pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• Kids ages 8 and up are invited to a creative writing group at the Cortelyou Library, 2:45-3:45pm.
• Learn about local wildlife at Animal Encounter, also at the Audubon Center, 3-4pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• Happy hour with babies and ice cream happy hour are at Lark, 4pm.
• Check out Happy Hour cocktail recipes at T.B. Ackerson Wine Merchants, 6-8pm.
• Sunset cleansing meditation and a shot of raw organic juice at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 5:30pm.
• Pranic/tridoshic yoga with Jazel at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 6:30pm.
• Join neighbor Lola Star for her disco skate party at Lakeside in Prospect Park (buy tickets here), 8-10:30pm.
• Get your heart rate up and explore the neighborhood with Ditmas Rides, meeting in front of the Cortelyou Library at 7pm.
• The Jay Jennings Trio plays at Bar Chord, 9pm.
• Rahlou is at Sycamore, 10pm.
Saturday, October 4
• Bring your pups to Prospect Park’s Long Meadow by the Picnic House for a free dog-friendly event from FIDO Brooklyn that includes goodies for dogs and their owners, as well as provides information pertaining to off-leash activities and issues, 7-9am.
• Vinyasa yoga with Sarah at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 9:30am.
• Lavender Blues Sing-Along at Lark Cafe, 10 & 11am.
• Join Sustainable Flatbush for its final workshop of the season, which will focus on heart healing plants that grow in Brooklyn, 10am.
• There’s Sahaja yoga meditation at the Cortelyou Library, 12:30-2pm.
• Check out the pyramid meditation at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 2pm.
• Reiki level 1 attunement and certification workshop at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 3pm.
• The Dad Beats hold their album release party at Lark Cafe, 5pm.
• Sean Kershaw and The New Jack Ramblers perform at Bar Chord, 9pm.
Sunday, October 5
• The Brooklyn Bird Club leads this free monthly bird walk, which focuses on hawks, because October is Hawk Month! Meets at the Audubon Center at 8am.
• Check out all the fresh veggies, fruit, and more at the Cortelyou greenmarket (Cortelyou between Argyle and Rugby), 8am-3pm.
• Kundaluni-inspired vinyasa yoga with Rebecca at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 9:30am.
• Kids yoga with Jen at Lark Cafe, 11am.
• Bring your pet to the annual blessing of the animals service at St. Paul’s Church, 1pm.
• Community healing at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 2pm.
• Reiki level 2 attunement and certification workshop at the Family of Light Holistic Center, 3pm.
• Stems has a few spots left for its flower arranging class ($75 gets you all the materials and two cocktails), 5pm.
• Game Night is on at 773 Lounge, 7pm.
• Cortelyou Jazz Jam at Bar Chord, 9pm.
Photo via The Dad Beats.