Lots of way to keep warm this weekend while still having fun in the neighborhood!Thursday, January 24
• Shop to Support the Library: At tonight’s “shop-warming” party, Brooklyn Industries will be serving snacks from Mimi’s, and they’ll donate 20% of the proceeds from sales made between 6:30-9pm to the Cortelyou Library Friends Group. FYI, they’ve got hats, mittens, and other warm-weather items.
• Hear Giacomo Merega and Tom Beckham at Lark, 8pm.Friday, January 25
Saturday, January 26
• Set Up for Saturday’s Soup Kitchen: The Church Avenue BID is looking for volunteers in the afternoon and evening to help prep for a meal that will be served at the Flatbush Reformed Church on Saturday. Contact the BID at email@example.com or 718-282-2500, x63237 for more info.
• Celebrate Winter, Swedish-Style: At the Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Illumination Festival, adults can do handstands, kids can make lanterns, and everyone can enjoy lights and music after the sun goes down (pictured above). The event starts at noon and runs until 9:30pm, with additional activities on Sunday and next weekend.
• Cook with Church Ave chefs at Flatbush Reformed Church, 9am.
• Find out how to knit in a series starting at Brooklyn ARTery, 10am.
• Improve your environment by volunteering with Compost for Brooklyn, 11am.
• Learn CPR in a non-certification class at Lark, 4pm.
• See the String Orchestra of Brooklyn perform the Goldberg Variations, 8pm.
• Hear the jazz of The Luce Trio at Sycamore, 9pm.
• Start Thinking About Gardening: Forget about the cold by focusing on the spring to come at the Flatbush Community Garden’s Winterfest at Sycamore from 4-7pm. There will be drinks specials, a baked goods table, and the grill will be going, and you can learn more about the garden on Albemarle at Buckingham, and how you can join. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.