With temperatures in the mid-60s and thoroughly-sunny skies, this weekend will be a great one for cherry blossom-lovers, tree-planters, audiophiles, and library visitors alike. Keep reading to learn about fantastic events coming up the next couple of days in Ditmas Park.
Thursday, April 25
- Kids can keep Prospect Park green at Nature’s Helpers, Audubon Center, 1-2pm Thursdays and Fridays.
- … and then learn about park wildlife at Animal Encounter, also at the Audubon Center Thursdays and Fridays, 2-2:30pm.
- Nature on the Go! is at the Audubon Center, too, Thursdays and Fridays, 3-4pm.
- Sustainable Flatbush’s Healing Herb Garden open hours continue at 2103 Kenmore Terrace, Thursdays and Fridays from 4-6pm.
- Prospect Park is also holding a Responsible Urban Beekeeping Workshop for grownups at the Audubon Center, 6-9pm.
- Enjoy happy hour and meet new people at the second South Brooklyn Queers’ monthly meetup at Sycamore, 7-10pm.
- Kellie Johnson, Jonah Byrd, and Dina Rudeen play downstairs at Sycamore, 9pm.
- Sign up to perform at Open Mic night from 8-8:30 pm, or just watch starting at 9pm at 773 Lounge.
Friday, April 26
- Shape Up NYC hosts a free introductory pilates class, Prospect Park Audubon Center, 12-1pm.
- Meet fellow parents at the New Parent Meet-Up, Lark, 1-2pm.
- Attend an Arbor Day celebration at the Prospect Park Audubon Center, 1-4pm.
- The Cortelyou Library is offering a writing workshop for teens, 3pm.
- Attend “Roy & Lloyd’s Happy Hour” live jazz series, Lark, 5:45pm.
- John Lundbom & Big Five Chord and Aaron Wolfe are at Sycamore, 9pm.
- The M F’Rs play 773 Lounge, 10pm.
Saturday, April 27
- Enjoy the food trucks at the Parade Ground (and don’t miss Grand Army Plaza trucks on Sundays), Prospect Park, 8am-5pm.
- Play and learn with The Play Champs, Prospect Park, with classes starting at 9am.
- Get a free tree, mulch, and gardening advice with MillionTreesNYC, Greenwood Cemetery, 10am-12pm.
- Help the Woodland Corps keep Prospect Park clean and green by the Picnic House, 10am-2pm.
- Sustainable Flatbush’s Healing Herb Garden Saturday open hours are at 2103 Kenmore Terrace, 10am-2pm.
- Attend the Cherry Blossom Festival at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Saturday and Sunday 10-6pm.
- Then check out the Pop-Up Audubon, Saturdays and Sundays from 12-5pm.
- Join History in Your Hands: Spring Sprouts to care for Prospect Park’s Lefferts Historic House garden, Saturdays and Sundays from 2-4pm.
- Hear Josh Farrar read from A Song for Bijou, and enjoy music, dance, and West Indian food at the Cortelyou Library, 3-5pm.
- “Honey, Dear” Vintage Jazz is on at Lark, 4-5pm.
- Enjoy music and comedy with Mike Fiorito and Friends, 773 Lounge, 9pm.
- Names You Can Trust hosts the La Mecanica Popular record release party and video shoot, Sycamore, 10pm.
Sunday, April 28Meet the locals, enjoy lunch, and green the neighborhood at the Ditmas Park West Association’s Arbor Day tree planting, 458 Rugby Rd., 9:30am.
- Meet local artist Julie Peppito at Lark, 1:30-3:30pm.
- Sip cocktails and arrange bouquets at Stems’ flower arranging class, Stems Flower Shop at Sycamore, 5-7pm.
- Jazz Underground presents the Dan Pratt Quartet at Sycamore, 8:30pm.
Photo via Big Five Chord