Roundup: Brighton Beach Bloodshed "Over A Glance"

Tysha Jones was a junior at Norman Thomas High School and lived in a Harlem apartment with her mother, Cynthia, her brother and sister, according to friends.
One of the last photos taken of Tysha Jones, taken shortly before a gunman took her life. (Source: Twitter via

The Brighton Beach shooting on the Riegelmann Boardwalk yesterday evening left one 16-year-old girl dead and four others wounded. The shooting erupted around 6:20 p.m., with the gunman firing wildly into the air and crowd. Now, a person involved in the incident is telling the New York Post that it all happened after unsuspecting teenagers threw a wayward glance at alleged Crip gangbangers walking by.

The New York Post reports:

“It was a bad combination of guns, heat, beer and angry young men,” a police source said, pointing to empty Olde English malt-liquor bottles littering the area.
The mayhem began at around 5:20 p.m. when two cousins said they walked past some Crips and looked at the gang bangers the wrong way.
“It was all over a glance,” the 22-year-old man told The Post.
“We just looked back, and they started shooting.”
… said the man, who insisted that neither he nor his cousin have any gang affiliation.

The Daily News tells us more about deceased 16-year-old Tysha Jones:

“Tysha got killed for enjoying a day at the beach,” a devastated family friend, Glenda Farr, said Friday morning.
“She was so excited about graduating from high school and going to college.
“Everyone around here loved her.”
Jones was a junior at Norman Thomas High School and lived in a Harlem apartment with her mother, Cynthia, her brother and sister, according to friends.
She was often seen walking around the neighborhood with the family’s two dogs, Sam and Goldie.
Outside her building, a makeshift memorial has been set up with candles, a teddy bear and handwritten notes from loved ones.
Farr said Jones pleaded with her mother to go to the beach and headed to Brighton Beach with friends Thursday afternoon.
“[Tysha] begged and begged her mother until finally she let her go,” Farr explained.
“Now she’s dead.”

In another article, Daily News describes how the gunman fired wildly into the air and crowd:

A gunman squeezed off about eight rounds, first shooting in the air before aiming at the brawling crowd, cops and witnesses said.
… Beckett – a father of 2-year-old twins, a boy and a girl – was hit in his ankle and elbow during the wild shooting.
A 21-year-old Bronx woman who is eight months pregnant said she was 30 feet from the gunfire and feared for her life.
“I got nervous,” said the woman, who declined to give her name
“At the moment, you don’t know where he was going to shoot,” she added. “I left my sandals. I left everything. I could have fell on my stomach – I could have gotten shot.”
One stray bullet pierced through the window of an elderly woman’s apartment as she sat in front of her TV, witnesses said.
The bullet whizzed through the sixth-floor apartment of Marion Smith, 84, but didn’t hit her, said a security guard at the building.

The Daily News is also reporting that a group of men were detained for questioning after the incident, but no charges have been filed yet.