KENSINGTON — This week Marshalls seized Kensington Fitness, a gym located at 202 Caton Avenue, for failing to pay rent. Many patrons were left wondering where to go now, and how to get their money back.
Now, Kensington is not Park Slope, where there is a gym on almost every corner. In fact, when we searched, absolutely none were to be found on Yelp in Kensington. We hope someone takes over the space vacated by Kensington Fitness and opens a great gym – location is perfect, and there is almost no competition within reasonable walking distance.
If you need something beyond yoga (for which Jaya Yoga cannot be beat), here are some very well regarded options nearby — just treat getting there as part of your warm-up routine, arranged by distance from Kensington Fitness:
- Jake’s Fitness at 101 McDonald Ave between Seeley and Vanderbilt is nearest, but offers only personal training. (646) 926-7638.
- Elite Gym at 782 Coney Island Ave off Cortelyou Road. (347) 529-7489. Owned by two vets, it offers military discounts.
- Prospect Fitness at 1004 Beverley Rd off the corner of Coney Island Avenue (location of old Ditmas Fitness), is a small but friendly spot with no contracts.
- Park Fitness BK at 771 Coney Island Avenue off Cortelyou Road also offers only personal training or classes, but has developed somewhat of a cult following among local ladies. They also have popular bootcamps. (347) 378-2228.
- Crunch Flatbush at 1038 Flatbush Ave off Beverley Road is a big new gym a bike ride away. (718) 218-4618
- Blink Fitness at 833 Flatbush Avenue off Caton Ave is another big, shiny gym. (718) 704-1700
If Kensington Fitness owes you money, you should file a complaint online with the Attorney General, local Assemblyman Robert Carroll says, and asks that after you’ve submitted your complaint that you email him at [email protected]