Police & Fire

Plainclothes NYPD Officers Fatally Shoot Teen In Clinton Hill; Second Police-Involved Shooting In 24 Hours

Site of Brooklyn’s second police-involved shooting of 2017, 990 Atlantic Avenue on the Clinton Hill/Crown Heights border. (Photo via Yelp)

Two plainclothes cops shot and killed an 18-year-old man who fired shots into a Clinton Hill bar early this morning, just six hours after another police-involved shooting in Canarsie.

Two plainclothes officers on patrol saw a man — later identified as Joshua Martino — fire three shots inside the B-hive Lounge at 990 Atlantic Avenue near Grand Avenue around 3:40am on January 4, said cops.

The officers identified themselves and the teen bolted, but then he “turned on the officers with his gun in hand,” said NYPD Chief of Patrol Terence Monahan. The two officers opened fire and hit the Martino at least once in the torso.

Martino was rushed to Brooklyn Hospital, where he died from his injuries. No one inside the bar was hurt.

There was an additional plainclothes sergeant involved but he didn’t fire his weapon, said cops.

Police recovered the suspect’s .38 caliber revolver at the scene. The ongoing investigation has taken over Atlantic Avenue with at least six evidence markers and police tape blocking off the sidewalk, reports the NY Daily News.

.38 revolver recovered at the scene (Photo via NYPD)

This shooting happened just six hours after police officers fatally shot a 63-year-old man who threatened officers with a kitchen knife in a Canarsie apartment.

Just before 9:30pm on Tuesday, January 3, police responded to a 911 call for a non-violent, emotionally disturbed family member at an apartment on East 99th Street near Avenue J, cops said.

When the officers arrived, a man — identified as James Owens — “retrieved a 13-inch knife from the kitchen and advanced toward the officers,” said Terence Monahan in a statement.

One of the officers deployed his Taser, but to no effect, Monahan said. “The male continued to advance toward the officers with the knife, and a second officer discharged his firearm and requested an ambulance,” said Monahan.

Owens was shot at least three times in the face, neck, and chest, reports the Daily. He was prounced dead at Brookdale Hospital.

Comment policy


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here