The Holy Family School opened its doors on 14th Street, between 4th and 5th Avenue, in 1908 (when the above photograph was taken). Directed by the Sisters of Saint Dominic, Holy Family served as a Catholic school here in the neighborhood until, after a “diocesan reorganization,” it was closed in 1978. The Holy Family Church remains one block over, on 13th Street, between 4th and 5th Avenue.
Today, the building looks almost identical to the way it did in 1908, but houses The Gallery Players Theatre, and a collection of public service organizations, such as The New York Memory Center, ACE Early Childcare Center, and Project Reach Youth.
Historic photo via Brooklyn Public Library