The Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment and BuzzFeed have launched One Book, One New York – where New Yorkers get to pick the ONE BOOK they all want to read together.
It’s One Book, One New York – One Vote. We’ll reveal the winning book on May 3rd.
- A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza: As an Indian wedding gathers a family back together, parents must reckon with the choices their children have made. What secrets and betrayals have caused this close-knit family to fracture?
- Nilda by Nicholasa Mohr: The coming of age story of a 10-year-old Puerto Rican girl growing up in The Bronx during WWII. A story of family hardship and discrimination as a young girl’s childhood slowly erodes away.
- Just Kids by Patti Smith: A memoir by the legendary artist gives a glimpse into life in 1970s NYC and her friendship with renowned artist Robert Mapplethorpe.
- Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson: Four young friends navigate the perils of adolescence, mean streets and haunted memories in 1970s Bushwick, all while dreaming of escape.
- Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee: A strong-willed Queens-born daughter of Korean immigrants is addicted to a glamorous Manhattan lifestyle she can’t afford, but is determined to carve a space for herself in the glittering world of NYC.