Grand Army Plaza – It was announced yesterday that NYC Charter Revision Commission will host a series of public hearings in each of the five boroughs.
Their Brooklyn outreach is tomorrow, which is not much notice at all, but if you are stopping by the Grand Army Greenmarket between 9 am and 11 am you should not miss them.
The Commission’s Preliminary Staff Report will be released as part of the Commission’s public meeting on July 17, following which there will be public hearings in each borough offering an opportunity to respond to the Preliminary Staff Report.
What is all this, you ask? During his State of the City Address on February 13th, 2018, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced his intent to appoint a Charter Revision Commission to examine the entire New York City Charter to identify areas for potential revision.
Based on preliminary testimony and comments received by the Commission, there seems to be widespread interest in:
- various measures to promote meaningful participation in elections, including instant runoff voting and other election reforms;
- campaign financing reforms;
- fair representation, including independent redistricting;
- and broadening and strengthening civic engagement, including examination of the roles of Community Boards
Community Event: Greenmarket (Brooklyn)
- WHEN: Saturday, July 14, 2018 from 9 am-11 am
- WHERE: Grand Army Plaza, Flatbush Avenue Brooklyn
- Directions: Take 2 or 3 to Grand Army Plaza
Public Commission Meeting to Discuss Preliminary Staff Report (All meetings are live streamed at NYC.gov/charter).
- WHEN: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11 am
- WHERE: Pratt Institute Manhattan Campus, 144 West 14th Street, Room 213, New York, NY 10011
- Directions: Take the 1, 2, or 3 trains to 14th Street Station
The Commission’s Preliminary Staff Report will be released and discusses at the July 17 meeting. The public is welcome to listen and observe. Once released, the Preliminary Staff Report will be found here. The public will have the opportunity to testify at the public hearings during Charter Week, July 23 to 31.
Public Hearing (Brooklyn)
- WHEN: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 6 pm
- WHERE: St. Francis College, 4305, 180 Remsen St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Directions: Take the 2, 3, 4, or 5 trains to Borough Hall; or the R train to Court St.; or the A, C to Jay St. – MetroTech Station
The Commission is expected to finalize its report and ballot proposals in August. Charter revision ballot proposals, if any, will be filed with the City Clerk in September.