After you ring in 2015 on Wednesday night, you might wake up hungry to start the new year off right– or perhaps looking to soak up a bit of that excess champagne. And where better to do that than over brunch?
Here are some local spots that are open this Thursday, January 1:
Alchemy, 56 5th Avenue at Bergen Street, 718-636-4385
• Hours: 10am-4:30pm
• Hair of the Dog: Start the year off on a spicy note with a strawberry-jalapeño margarita ($11).
• Try: The hearty corn beef hash and eggs ($11.50) will fill a stomach that spent all night just popping hors d’oeuvres.
Benchmark, 339 2nd Street at 5th Avenue, 718-965-7040
• Hours: 10am-3pm
• Hair of the Dog: Get the Bloody Benchmark ($9), made with Benchmark bourbon, homemade jerky, and an “ancient secret recipe.”
• Try: For those looking to begin 2015 on something of a healthy note, get the $18 two-course menu and go with the roasted tomato gazpacho, which is topped with peekytoe crab, followed by the bourbon-cured Scottish salmon — basically one of the fanciest bagels with lox you’ll find in the neighborhood.
Dizzy’s, 230 5th Avenue at President Street, 718-230-5551
• Hours: 9am-4pm
• Hair of the Dog: Go with the prix fixe brunch upgrade to include a brunch cocktail.
• Try: The first day to a new year is not the day to mess around — go big and get the “brunch deeee lux” ($18.95 with cocktail) to pack in two buttermilk flapettes, two eggs, home fries, toast, and a side plate (here’s where you can be good and get the fruit salad, if you want).
Haab, 396 6th Avenue at 7th Street, 718-369-0849
• Hours: 12pm-10pm
• Hair of the Dog: You’ll have to choose between a mimosa or coffee, which comes with brunch.
• Try: A great Mexican spin on eggs benedict, the Haab eggs ($12.95) are poached eggs on top of an English muffin with avocado, roasted tomato, and a chipotle hollandaise.
Rose Water, 787 Union Street at 6th Avenue, 718-783-3800
• Hours: 10am-4pm
• Hair of the Dog: Left Hand’s Polestar ($6) is an easy-drinking pilsner.
• Try: The seasonal challah french toast, which currently being served up with cranberries, creme fraiche, and cashews. $16 prix fixe, includes entree and non-alcoholic beverage.
Sotto Voce, 225 7th Avenue at 4th Street, 718-369-9322
• Hours: 10:30am-11pm
• Hair of the Dog: Can’t beat unlimited mimosas, bloody Marys, or champagne with prix fixe brunch ($18.95).
• Try: Begin the year with a big plate of pasta — go with the Fusilli Ai Formaggi, which is all comfort food with a four-cheese cream sauce topped with walnuts.
Know of any other spots that will be open on January 1? Let us know — and share your recommendations on what to order — in the comments below.