Good Shepherd’s Monsignor Brady Escapes Indictment On Sex Abuse Charges

Brady, with Assemblywoman Weinstein, at Good Shepherd Sports Annual Little League's opening day celebration in 2011. (Source:

A grand jury decided not to indict the beloved monsignor of Marine Park’s Good Shepherd Roman Catholic Church on sex abuse charges.

Thomas Brady, a longtime priest at Good Shepherd (1950 Batchelder Street) was arrested in October 2011, following allegations that he attempted “inappropriate sexual contact” and lewd comments with teenage boys.

According to the Staten Island District Attorney Daniel Donovan’s office, the evidence didn’t pass muster with the Grand Jury. They sent the following statement to Sheepshead Bites earlier this week:

After conducting a thorough investigation into these allegations, our office presented evidence to a Brooklyn Grand Jury, and the Grand Jury voted not to indict this defendant.

The grand jury proceedings took place on April 26.

Brooklyn Daily is reporting that Brady’s case is still under review by the Diocese.

Diocese spokeswoman Stefanie Gutierrez confirmed that Brady is still on a forced administrative leave away from his Marine Park parish and the allegations were being reviewed by a cannon lawyer, who will determine if Brady violated any church rules.
… Investigators said that one of the victims — a 13-year-old student at Good Shepherd Parochial School — was in the church rectory with Brady when the senior made several lewd comments. At one point, Brady “offered to have sex” with the minor, cops claimed.
Investigators did not say that Brady had touched the child. Neither did the Diocese, which accused Brady, an FDNY chaplain with close ties to Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes, of having inappropriate contact with the 13-year-old, as well as a second teen. Diocese officials learned about the second attack while investigating the first.

Brady, 77, has had several strokes and is currently suffering from lung cancer, leading many in the community to come to his defense, insisting it was all a misunderstanding and honoring him with a Christmas tree lighting in his name.