Free American Legion Concert At New Utrecht Parish House

Photo Credit: Ned Berke

The Kings County American Legion band will be playing a free concert at the New Utrecht Reformed Church’s Parish House on Sunday, March 18, writes the Brooklyn Eagle.

The concert is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.

From the Eagle:

The musicians, under the direction of Irwin Meyer, last performed at New Utrecht in March of last year. The band members come from many walks of life. Some are professional musicians, students, mechanics, teachers, police officers and health care professionals.
In its nearly 80-year history, the band has contained musicians from the famous John Philip Sousa Band, the Goldman Band and many other big bands of the 1940s. Meyer has played in several semi-professional symphony orchestras, including the Brooklyn Doctors’ Symphony, where he served as president for several years.

The free performance is just one of a series of free concerts given each year by Friends of Historic New Utrecht.

Both the New Utrecht Reformed Church’s Parish House, as well as the sanctuary of its church, played significant roles in the history of Bensonhurst – as well as that of an independent United States.

The church itself, which is undergoing extensive restoration work, was erected in 1828, with the congregation dating back to 1677.

On its front lawn, near 18th Avenue, the church has the nation’s last remaining Liberty Pole, the sixth pole to have been placed at the site. The original pole was erected by the residents of New Utrecht to celebrate the evacuation of British soldiers and loyalists in 1783.

Liberty Poles were created during the last days of the American Revolution to fly the flag of our newly created nation, both celebrating the United States victory and sending a signal of defeat to the British.

Anyone interested in learning more should call (718) 256-7173 or check the websites HistoricNewUtrecht.org and NewUtrechtChurch.org. Inquiries may be made at Mail@HistoricNewUtrecht.org.

The New Utrecht Reformed Church is located at the intersection of 84th Street and 18th Avenue. The Parish House can be found on the 84th Street side of the property.

Comments

Sign in or become a Bklyner member to join the conversation.


search