There has been an outpouring of support from the community for The Kensington, the new family homeless shelter run by CAMBA that recently opened on McDonald Avenue. Volunteer organizers have announced that the shelter is now accepting donations and requests for volunteers.
CAMBA has listed the following items as things that are needed by residents of the shelter. Organizers ask that you please do not bring anything not on this list, including toys or books, and that the items being contributed are new or in like-new condition.
- Season-appropriate clothing for boys and girls 6-12 months
- Season-appropriate clothing for girls age 1-2 years
- Snowsuits for infants-3 years
- Babies and children’s hats
- New baby and toddler socks
- New bibs
- Stroller blankets
- Jars of baby food
- Smaller size baby formula
- Season-appropriate comfortable, casual clothing for men and women, especially plus size women’s.
- Unopened toiletries, full- and travel-size
- Unopened feminine hygiene products
- Microwave-safe Tupperware-style food containers (new or very good condition)
- Shatter-proof plates, bowls and cups
- Plastic or wood clothing hangers
- Cleaning supplies (unopened wipes, Lysol, laundry detergent, dish soap)
- New or near-new yoga/exercise mats
You can drop-off donations on Saturday, January 23 or 30 from 9am-12pm or on Tuesday January 26 or February 2 from 8am to 11am.
If you would rather volunteer your time, the shelter staff has also said they are eager to implement activities for children and adults with the help of volunteers who have special expertise, including in the following areas:
- Kid singalongs
- Student tutoring
- Computer instruction
- Parenting classes
- Resume prep
- GED prep
- Arts and crafts
- Financial planning
- Yoga, meditation and dance for adults
If you would like to offer to run an activity or workshop, please send us an email to email@example.com with the subject line: SPECIAL SKILLS VOLUNTEER.
Or if you would rather make a monetary contribution, you can now make a donation to CAMBA that can be earmarked for The Kensington shelter and will be tax-deductible. Visit the CAMBA donation page and use the drop-down window that says “How Shall We Use Your Donation?”
The volunteer organizers have emphasized how impressed they are with the support the community has been offering to the new shelter.