The following is a press release from the office of City Councilman Domenic Recchia:
COUNCILMAN DOMENIC M. RECCHIA JR. HOSTS FREE TAX PREP DAY IN BROOKLYN
BROOKLYN — With the support of the Food Bank for New York City and The City University of New York, Councilman Domenic M. Recchia Jr. will host aFREE
tax preparation on
Friday, March 2nd, 10 am to 5 pm
at the Gravesend Public Library at 303 Avenue X in Brooklyn.
*Qualified people will get their taxes completed forFREE
. To qualify you must have the following:
• If filing jointly with a spouse, both of you must be present with photo IDs.
• Social Security cards or ITIN (or copies) for you and your spouse if filing jointly and anyone you are claiming on your tax return, or a letter from the Social Security Administration.
• W-2s for all jobs you held in 2011.
• Form 1099-G if you received unemployment insurance in 2011.
• Form 1099-INT if you received interest from a bank account in 2011.
• Form 1098-T if you paid tuition.
• Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest.
• If you are claiming child care expenses, amount you paid and child care agency’s ID or name and Social Security number of the babysitter.
• $50,000 with dependents
• $18,000 without dependents
This is the first of two tax preparation workshops the Councilman is hosting this year. The second will be held on Friday, March 23, at the Coney Island Library, from 10am to 5pm.
Professional accountants were hired by the New York Food Bank to help out with this great cause.
“Filing taxes is not always at the top of everyone’s list but is something we all must do in order to pay for public services and infrastructure. To make the chore a little bit easier, I’m happy to host a free tax prep workshop twice a year for my district,” said Councilman and Finance Chair, Domenic M. Recchia Jr.
Councilman Domenic Recchia represents Council District 47, which includes Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Gravesend, as well as part of Bensonhurst. He also serves as Chairman of the City Council’s Finance Committee.