Hello, Christmas! If you plan to celebrate outside of South Slope enjoy safe travels and good weather.
If you’re sticking around the neighborhood, note that Christmas Eve, Thursday, December 24, is not an official city holiday, so all city government offices, including courts, are open.
Here’s some information you might need to know about what’s open and closed for the holidays this week:
Government Offices, Parking, and Sanitation
All government offices are closed on Christmas Day, including courts.
There is no mail delivery.
All NYC public schools are closed Thursday, December 24 through Friday, January 1, 2016, for Winter Recess. Students return to school on Monday, January 4, 2016.
Alternate side parking regulations are suspended and parking meters do not have to be paid on Christmas Day. Additionally, no stopping, no standing, and no parking regulations are suspended, except where those regulations are in effect at any time or seven days a week.
There is no sanitation collection on Christmas Day. If Friday is your regular garbage or organics day, place your items out after 4pm on Friday, December 25. If Thursday is your regular recycling day, wait until after 4pm on January 2 to put out your recycling.
Subways and Buses
The New York City Subway will operate on a regular weekday schedule on Thursday. New York City subways and buses will operate on a Sunday schedule.
Park Slope and other select branches of the Brooklyn Public Library system will be open on Thursday from 9am-1pm. However, all branches of the New York library systems are closed on Friday for Christmas.
Area banks will be closed on December 25, including Chase (444 5th Ave at 9th Street), Bank of America (534 5th Avenue at 14th Street), Capital One (516 5th Avenue at 13th Street), and Astoria Federal Savings (459 5th Avenue at 10th Street).
- South Slope Pediatrics (501 5th Avenue) will be open from 9am to 1pm on December 24, but will be closed on Christmas Day.
- City MD (418-420 5th Avenue) will be open from 9am to 3pm on December 24, and from 9am to 1pm on Christmas Day.
- Key Food (120 5th Avenue): 7am-10pm on Christmas eve, closed on Christmas Day
- Key Food (130 7th Avenue): 7am-10pm on Christmas eve, closed on Christmas Day
- Bravo (595 5th Avenue): 9am to 5pm on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Steve’s C-Town (327 9th Street): 7am to 10pm on Christmas Eve, closed on Christmas Day
- Whole Foods (214 3rd Street): 7am-7pm Christmas Eve, closed on Christmas Day
- Gorilla Coffee (97 5th Avenue): 7am-(at least) 7pm on Christmas Eve, 8am-2pm on Christmas Day
- Hungry Ghost (253 Flatbush Avenue): 6:30am-5pm on Christmas Eve, closed on Christmas Day
- Konditori (240 5th Avenue): 6:30am-5pm on Christmas Eve, 7am-5pm on Christmas Day
- Kos Kaffe (251 5th Avenue): 7am-4pm on Christmas Eve, closed on Christmas Day
- Naidre’s (384 7th Avenue): 8am to 5pm on Christmas Eve, open on Christmas Day around 11am, but might close early if there are not many customers trickling in.
- Barbes (376 9th Street): Open regular hours Christmas Eve, closed Christmas Day.
- The Gate (321 5th Avenue): Open regular hours (and serving up meats and cheeses) on Christmas Eve, closed on Christmas Day.
- Mary’s Bar (708 5th Avenue): Open 2pm-2am on Christmas Eve, 4pm-2am on Christmas Day.
- Mission Dolores (249 4th Avenue): Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- The Monro Pub (481 5th Avenue): Open 2pm-2am on Christmas Eve, opens at 8pm on Christmas Day.
- The Owl Farm (297 9th Street): Open regular hours Christmas Eve, opens at 12pm on Christmas Day.
- Skylark (477 5th Avenue): 2pm-2am on Christmas Eve, opens at 8pm on Christmas Day.
- Union Hall (702 Union Street): Open regular hours on Christmas Eve and Christmas, but downstairs is closed
Know of any other neighborhood businesses that are open for the holidays? Share the details in the comments below.