BREAKING: Missing Boy Found Dead, Body Mutilated

Leiby Kletzky, 8 (from Daily News)

The Daily News is reporting that the body of Leiby Kletzky, the 8-year-old Borough Park boy that went missing yesterday, was found early this morning on Fourth Avenue in Park Slope. His body had been dismembered. Body parts were also found in a suspect’s refrigerator on East 2nd Street in Kensington.

From the Daily News:
More than a dozen NYPD detectives swarmed the scene outside the Park Slope Auto Center at 651 Fourth Ave where the dismembered remains of little Leiby Kletzky may were discovered. Sources said the body of the Orthodox Jewish boy was found after police checked the large gray trash container, which had its lid open.
Three suspects were in custody, police sources said.
“I’ve never seen a community feel more depression than they are at the moment,” Assemblyman dov Hikind (D- Borough Park) said he said in an interview broadcast on NY1. “Whoever did this is sick beyond belief.”

Representative Jerrold Nadler released the following statement:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, July 13, 2011
CONTACT: Ilan Kayatsky, 212-367-7350
NEW YORK, NY – Today, Congressman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), representative of Borough Park, issued the following statement on the shocking abduction and murder of Leibby Kletzky, a 9-year-old boy from the neighborhood:
“When news of Leibby’s disappearance broke, I joined my constituents and parents everywhere in a sense of fear and concern, mixed with a powerful hope that he would be found unharmed.  Today, I am speechless and shocked by the brutality and injustice of this horrific crime.  As a father and a human being, I am deeply saddened that so innocent a soul could be so cruelly taken.  I join my constituents in Borough Park and people everywhere in wishing the Kletzky family strength and blessings to heal from this awful tragedy.”
Jerrold Nadler has served in Congress since 1992. He represents New York’s 8th Congressional District, which includes parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

UPDATE (11:23 am)

Councilman David Greenfield also released a statement this morning at 9:15 am regarding the death of Leiby Kletzky:

STATEMENT OF COUNCILMAN DAVID GREENFIELD ON THE DEATH OF LEIBBY KLETZKY
“This morning we learned of the shocking death of Leibby Kletzky and our hearts go out to the entire Kletzky family as they grapple with the loss of their innocent child.
The outpouring of support from the community since Leibby’s disappearance 36 hours ago was extraordinary and I know that the community will continue to rally around the Kletzky family as they mourn. As they mourn, the entire community will mourn with them.
I thank the NYPD and FBI for leaving no stone unturned in the search. I also thank members of Shomrim, Hatzolah, Chaveirim and Misaskim for their incredible efforts in the search for Leibby. Finally, to the thousands of volunteers – regular citizens – who walked the streets of Brooklyn day and night since Monday: the community will always be grateful for what you did.
I trust that our District Attorney will prosecute all of the repugnant individuals responsible for this heinous crime to the fullest extent of the law.”

Please stay tuned to Bensonhurst Bean. We’ll continue coverage of this story with any updates we learn, particularly concerning the three suspects, throughout the day.

This is a breaking news story which may contain inaccuracies. The article will be updated as more information becomes available. If anyone has additional information or photos, please send them to jteutonico [at] bensonhurstbean [dot] com.

Comments

Sign in or become a Bklyner member to join the conversation.


search