This week, Colleen has the formula for a moist and delicious dessert bread that’s as American as apple pie. Happy Fourth!
Glazed Apple Walnut Bread
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups apples – peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1 cup of walnut pieces
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons milk
1. In a bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl combine oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and apples.
3. Stir apple mixture into flour mixture thoroughly, stir in walnuts.
4. Divide mixture into 2 greased 8 inch x 4 inch bread pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Allow bread to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
To prepare the glaze melt butter in saucepan on medium heat, add sugar, vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk. Mix until smooth, if it’s too thick add an additional 1/2 tablespoon of milk. Drizzle over bread that has been cooled.
TIP: Cut the fat and kick up the apple flavor by substituting 1/2 cup of apple sauce for the 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.