CONEY ISLAND – City’s beaches officially open this Saturday, May 25, and Coney Island is again open for visitors all week long, with rides, boardwalk entertainment, and music to remind us there is more to life than just work, work, work, work, work.
Best thing – most of it is free, so grab your blanket, pack a basket and head out for some sun. The weather promises to be absolutely perfect. Here is a glimpse of what’s on offer this weekend and ahead for the summer:
- Luna Park is welcoming guests this weekend with roaming entertainment and stage shows that will last every weekend through Labor Day.
- On May 29th, Deno’s Wonder Wheel will be celebrating its 99th Birthday! The Wonder Wheel stands a towering 150ft high and offers riders a panoramic view of Brooklyn and the best views in Coney Island.
- On June 9th, the Ford Amphitheater will start the season with the Heavy Metal band Coheed and Cambria. Their summer line-up already has tickets for sale at www.livenation.com for upcoming shows including Frankie Valli, Wu-Tang Clan, Boys II Men, Stone Temple Pilots and more.
- On June 9th, the park will be hosting History Day with the Coney Island History Project where visitors can enjoy live music, entertainment and history, including performances by musicians and dancers representing the traditional culture of countries from which people have emigrated to Coney Island.
- On June 14th, Brooklyn Cyclones will have their season opener against cross-town rivals the Staten Island Yankees. Fans can take advantage of the tickets on sale now at brooklyncyclones.com and enjoy a post-game fireworks show on opening night.
- Every Friday beginning June 21st – Friday Night Fireworks.
- On June 22nd, the streets of Coney Island will fill with thousands of parade goers for the Coney Island USA annual – 37th! – Mermaid Parade.
- The New York Aquarium debuted their newest addition, Ocean Wonders: Sharks! last summer, which features a brand new 57,000-square-foot exhibit that is home to a variety of sharks, but starting June 28th to August 31st guests can enjoy some after-hours fun until 10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- On July 4th, visitors can watch the annual Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest, which starts at 10 am. The annual Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular will start at 9:50 pm, sponsored by the Alliance for Coney Island.
- July 20th – Coney Island Music Festival
- July 27th – Coney Island Talent Show
- August 17th – Coney Island Sand Sculpting Competition