33 Community Leaders & Activists Endorse Treyger For State Committee
Thirty-three activists, advocates, and community leaders from Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach endorsed Councilman Mark Treyger for Democratic district leader in the 46th Assembly District today.
The group, which crossed ethnic, geographic and issue-based constituencies, include seven clergy and members of the religious community, seven tenant and housing activists and several civil rights leaders, veteran’s advocates, community activists, education advocates and leaders from the business community.
“I am overwhelmed by this outpouring of support,” said Treyger. “These community leaders are the backbone of our neighborhoods-leading the charge to improve our schools, ensure safe, quality housing, and advocating for critical social services. I look forward to working with them to help strengthen our communities and elect strong leaders to continue moving Southern Brooklyn forward.”
Below is a full list of folks endorsing Treyger for district leader today:
- Shirley Aikens – President, Carey Gardens Tenants Association
- Bishop Hobbs – Coney Island Cathedral of Deliverance
- Christopher Robles – Community Activist
- Lakeisha Bowers – Community Activist
- Queenie Huling – Community Activist
- Vinny Sampieri – Community Activist
- Sheila Boyd – Community Activist
- Boris Lerman – President, American Association of Holocaust Survivors of the Former Soviet Union
- Ida Sanoff – Brighton Beach Community Activist
- Rabbi Chaim Brikman – Congregation Kneses Israel of Sea Gate
- Sophia Lobova – Community Activist
- Jeff Sanoff – Brighton Beach Community Activist
- Lauretta Brumfeld – President, Coney Island Houses Tenants Association
- Victoria Lynch- President, Coney Island Houses Site 8 Tenants Association
- Robert Santiago – President, Surfside Gardens Tenants Association
- Deborah Carter – President, Gravesend Houses Tenants Association
- Pastor Mason – Christ Temple United Baptist Church
- Carlo Scissura – President and CEO, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
- Steve Chung – Community Activist and Non-profit Leader
- Cody McCone – Bay Ridge Community Leader
- Michael Silverman – Community Activist
- Edwin Comse – Community Activist
- Rabbi Okunov – Warbasse Jewish Heritage Congregation
- Sheila Smalls – President, O’Dwyer Gardens Tenants Association
- Sister Connie – Coney Island Gospel Assembly
- Alan Podhaizer – Community Activist
- Barbara Teitelbaum – Community Activist
- Nadine Dabney – President, Shorefront Democratic Club
- Marvin Reiskin – Community Activist
- Pavel Vishnevetsky – President, New York Association of Holocaust Survivors
- Wanda Feliciano – President, Unity Towers Tenants Association
- Vladimir Ripa – President, Holocaust Survivors Charity
- David Wynn – Community Activist
Treyger is competing for the state committee seat — currently occupied by Mark Davidovich, who is retiring from politics — against Bay Ridge Democrats cofounder Chris McCreight, who was recently endorsed by Councilman Vincent Gentile.
A state committeeperson, also known as a district leader, is an unpaid position with a two-year term. Each of Brooklyn’s 21 assembly districts has a male and female district leader. They are responsible for responsible for helping select candidates, staff polling sites and advocating for the community they represent. The Democratic primary will be held on September 13.
Sign in or become a Bklyner member to join the conversation.