Happy Birthday President Lincoln! Alternative Side Parking Suspended Feb. 13 In Your Honor
A reminder from the New York City Department of Transportation that alternate side of the street parking regulations for street cleaning will be suspended on Monday, February 13, in commemoration of President Abraham Lincoln’s birthday. All other regulations, including parking meters, remain in effect. You can download the alternate side of the street parking calendar here.
Also, in memory of the 16th President of the United States, here are some of the more inspiring quotes the issuer of the Emancipation Proclamation gave us during his time on the planet:
- Marriage is neither heaven nor hell, it is simply purgatory.
- A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have.
- Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.
- It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.
- A house divided against itself cannot stand.
- In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be wrong.
- No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
- In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
- You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
- Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
- You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative and independence.
- It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
- Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.
- With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.
- Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.
- Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
- Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable — a most sacred right — a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.
- Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.
- Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.
- You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
- Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.
- All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
- America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.
- Don’t interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
- My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.
Sign in or become a Bklyner member to join the conversation.