The Department of Transportation sent out this year-end update, summing up what work has been completed on the project and what’s to come in 2011. Here’s what they had to say:
The East 8th Street Access Ramp over the Belt Parkway (known to the community as the Guider Avenue Bridge) was a 60+ year old bridge which provided access for traffic to the westbound Belt Parkway. It is being replaced ith a new structure, which is currently under construction. The new bridge will meet current safety standards and will include an improved walking and biking path.
The anticipated project completion date is September 2011.
- Removal of the steel structure (the blue-painted portion as seen in above photo)
- Demolition and pile driving of Piers 1-3
- Installation of new footings at Pier 1 and
- Pier 2
- Reconstruction of barrier between the eastbound Belt Parkway and South Service Road
- Reconstruction work at the north and south abutments
Over the winter and moving into spring 2011, the project will move forward with:
- Pier 3 column construction expected to be completed by January 2011
- Concrete caps at Piers 1, 2 and 3 being constructed through February 2011
- Installation of bridge bearings and erection of the new steel superstructure expected to commence in March 2011
Traffic Impacts and Detours
Night-time lane closures will continue on the BeltParkway between Shell Road and Knapp Street. Please note that additional detours may also be required from time to time. You will be notified in advance when these are scheduled. To join the notification network please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The general lane closure schedule is below:
Sunday night through Friday morning:
10:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. – 1 lane closed
1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. – 2 lanes closed*
Friday night through Saturday morning:
11:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. – 1 lane closed
1:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. – 2 lanes closed*
*On some nights, there will be all-lane Belt Parkway closures, for up to 15 minutes. Traffic must dissipate completely before another all-lane closure is permitted.