Happy Fourth of July weekend! If you’re going to be hanging out in the neighborhood this weekend, there is lots to do. If you need to cool off, take a dip in one 15 city pools in the area, visit Ali Kazan – otherwise known as our “Mister Softee Man,” or try out a smoothie (on sale) at the just opened Newkirk Fruit.
Thursday, July 3
Friday, July 4
• Sing along with Jon Samson at Lark, 11am.
• Meet fellow moms and dads at the New Parent Meet-Up, Lark, 1pm.
• Kids can attend Blooming Naturalists at the Prospect Park’s Audubon Center, 1-2pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• … followed by Nature on the Go, also at the Audubon Center, 2-3pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• … and finally, learn about local wildlife at Animal Encounter, also at the Audubon Center, 3-4pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• Happy hour with babies and ice cream happy hour are at Lark, 4pm.
• Local artist and singer Laolu Senbanjo leads a drop-in African folk song singalong ($5) at Lark, 4pm.
• Get your heart rate up and explore the neighborhood with Ditmas Rides, meeting in front of the Cortelyou Library at 7pm.
• Dr. Zsa’s Powdered Zydeco Band play Bar Chord, 9pm.
• Rahlou and Que Sera DJ are at Sycamore, 10pm.
Saturday, July 5
• The Lavender Blues sing along is at Lark, 10:30am.
• You can check out Introduction to Birdwatching, starting at the Audubon Center, 12-1pm…
• … or visit the Pop-Up Audubon at the Binnen Bridge, Saturdays and Sundays from 12-5pm.
• There’s Sahaja yoga meditation at the Cortelyou Library, 12:30-2pm.
• History in Your Hands: Flax to Linen is at the Lefferts Historic House, 2-4pm Saturdays and Sundays.
• Robert Glasper Experiment Featuring Talib Kweli, Glenn Kotche, and Aja Monet play Celebrate Brooklyn at the Prospect Park Bandshell, 7pm.
• The James Petrie Band play Bar Chord, 9pm.
Sunday, July 6
• Multi-family yard sale will be held at the following Fiske Terrace locations: 1809 Glenwood Rd., 820 East 18th Street, 825 East 18th Street, 1721 Avenue H, and 53 Wellington, 10am-4pm
• Play and sing at Toddler Time with Mary Jo, Lark, 10am.
• Game Night is on at 773 Lounge, 7pm.
• Cortelyou Jazz Jam at Bar Chord, 9pm
Photo by Don Q. Hannah via Robert Glasper