Happy Labor Day weekend! There’s a ton going on to help you live out your last summer days to the fullest, from a free open house at Cynthia King Dance Studio’s new space at 21 Snyder Avenue to a chance to pay what you want at the new coffee/cocktail bar Erv’s on Saturday, and lots of amazing live music at Bar Chord.
Thursday, August 28
Friday, August 29
• Sing along with Jon Samson at Lark, 11am.
• Computer lab at the Cortelyou Library, 11am.
• Come to Prospect Park’s Audubon Center for a free cardio toning class, 12pm.
• Meet fellow moms and dads at the New Parent Meet-Up, Lark, 1pm.
• Kids can attend Blooming Naturalists at the Prospect Park’s Audubon Center, 1-2pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• … followed by Nature on the Go, also at the Audubon Center, 2-3pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• … and finally, learn about local wildlife at Animal Encounter, also at the Audubon Center, 3-4pm Thursdays and Fridays.
• Happy hour with babies and ice cream happy hour are at Lark, 4pm.
• Check out Happy Hour cocktail recipes at T.B. Ackerson Wine Merchants, 6-8pm.
• Get your heart rate up and explore the neighborhood with Ditmas Rides, meeting in front of the Cortelyou Library at 7pm.
• Come take part in la vie boheme and skate your heart out at Lola Star‘s Moulin Rouge-themed roller disco skate party (Lola’s last skate party of the season) at the LeFrak Center at Lakeside Prospect Park (buy tickets here), 8-10pm.
• Dr. Zsa’s Powdered Zydeco Band performs at Bar Chord, 9pm.
• Rahlou is at Sycamore, 10pm.
Saturday, August 30
• Erv’s, a new coffee/cocktail bar at 2122 Beekman Place, is holding a “meet the neighborhood” opening – and you’ll be able to pay what you want for a medium or small coffee and $2.50 for espresso drinks. 8am-2pm.
• There’s Sahaja yoga meditation at the Cortelyou Library, 12:30-2pm.
• Cynthia King Dance Studio is inviting everyone to tour the new space, meet teachers, and enjoy a class at an open house, 2-4pm.
• Laolu and the Afromysterics perform Afro pop all night long at Bar Chord, 9pm.
Sunday, August 31
• Check out all the delicious fresh fruits, veggies and more at the Cortelyou greenmarket, 8am-3pm.
• Game Night is on at 773 Lounge, 7pm.
• Mike O’Malley peforms at Bar Chord, 7pm
• Cortelyou Jazz Jam at Bar Chord, 9pm.
Monday, September 1
• The West Indian American Day Parade will run from Eastern Parkway and Schenectady Avenue to Flatbush Avenue Extension, 11am-6pm.
• Celebrate Labor Day at Prospect Park with a free bird-watching class at the Audubon Center (1-4pm), old-fashioned games at Lefferts Historic House (2-4pm), and an Audubon Center Class in the nature that’s all around us in Prospect Park (2-3pm).
Tuesday, September 2
• Drop-in sing-along with Dan Loomis at Lark Cafe, 9am.
• Babies and Books at Cortelyou Library, 11am.
• Drop-in sing-along with Miss Katie at Lark Cafe, 11am.
• Brooklyn Lifelong Learning, a non-profit that is located at Brooklyn College and offers classes, films, and more to all retired and semi-retired adults of any age, is hold a free information session from 12:30pm to 2pm in 3139 Boylan Hall at Brooklyn College (2900 Bedford Avenue). It will include a sample mini-class by Brooklyn Borough Historian Ron Schweiger. All are welcome. For more information about the fall semester offerings, go here, call (718) 951-5647, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Music trivia with Shane and Ruth at Bar Chord, 7pm.
• Singer-songwriter Alexis Pastuhov performs at Bar Chord, 9pm.
Image via Laolu Senbanjo.