In this neighborhood, there always seems to be a pretty active rate of turnover — though some businesses manage to stick around for years, if not decades, others don’t quite make it that long. But this summer has been a sad one for several local favorites, and unfortunately, the list keeps growing:
M&S Prime Meats, 312 5th Avenue, between 2nd and 3rd Sts
Due to owner Mel Diaz’s health problems, they’ll be closing up shop in August after being in business since 2005 (though under a different name and ownership since 1948), says Here’s Park Slope. While we will definitely miss their sandwiches, it’s heartening to know that Russo’s (363 7th Avenue), which also makes some pretty mean sandwiches, will be taking over this space.
9st Laundrette Cleaners, 334 9th Street, between 5th and 6th Aves
They laundromat will be closing on Monday, July 28, according to FiPS, who notes the business has been in operation for nearly 20 years, adding, “Mr. and Mrs. Lee are incredibly wonderful people.” Reportedly their rent is being increased by more than twice its current rate, which is more than they can handle.
Excelsior, 390 5th Avenue, between 6th and 7th Sts
Open since 1999, the gay bar will be closing in August when their lease runs out, because the owner sold the property — though they’re hoping to find a new space in the area. FiPS has a lovely ode to the bar, which we’re sure many people, whether, like the author of the piece, you met your husband there or not.
And a roundup of additional closings announced in the past month:
- Fifth Avenue Record and Tape Center, 439 5th Avenue
- Crespella, 321 7th Avenue (8th Ave spot is still open)
- Root Hill Cafe, 262 4th Avenue (may reopen)
- Yuji Ramen, Whole Foods Gowanus
- Canvas Cafe & Gallery, 348 6th Street
- Silky Salon, 152 5th Avenue
- Danny’s Electronics, 146 5th Avenue
- Garfield Farm Market, 156 7th Avenue
But to end on a happier note, here are businesses that opened in our area in the past month or so, so go check them out!
- Park Chemists, 164 5th Avenue
- O Live Brooklyn, 140 5th Avenue
- Napoleon Pizza, 412 5th Avenue
- Omni Beauty Salon, 152 5th Avenue
- Eleven Consignment Boutique, 71 5th Avenue
- Aunt Patty D’s Gourmet Ices, 432 4th Avenue
- Cusp, 321 7th Avenue
- Ample Hills Creamery, 305 Nevins Street
- Ocean Fish Market, 413 5th Avenue
- Nailbed, 317 Flatbush Avenue
- HIIT BK, 264 Flatbush Avenue