Do you love Park Slope, and have a desire to share that love while helping to make your neighborhood a better place for everyone who lives here? Is it hard for you not to notice when a new business is opening, or take a million photos even though it’s the millionth time you’ve walked down 5th Avenue?
We’re currently looking for an editor — don’t worry, Chris will still be around, just in a different capacity! — and if you have a passion for local news and engagement in your community, can write quickly and accurately, and have a deep understanding of content management systems and social media, this could be the position for you.
Summary: Oversees editorial content for South Slope News. Must have a passion for local news and engagement in your community, be able to write quickly and accurately, and have a deep understanding of content management systems and social media.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Be the face of the neighborhood, the ultimate source for everything that’s going on in Park Slope.
• Research, report, and write both original and aggregated content.
• Seek out interesting stories, know when breaking news is happening, and prioritize it all quickly.
• Attend community meetings and other important events.
• Help guide the editorial direction of the site based on metrics, community input, and new ideas.
• Expand the site’s reach through social networks, creative marketing, and just talking to neighbors on the street.
• A passion for the neighborhood, and for sharing its stories.
• Experience with writing, photography, and the social web.
• Experience working independently and under tight deadlines.
• Excellent news judgement.
• Flexibility, and an eagerness to help the site grow and change.
• Must be willing to live in or near Park Slope, since you will be spending a lot of time here, and knowing it intimately is the most important part of the job!
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and writing samples to Mary at [email protected].
Corner News Media is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.