A fire ripped through a two-story home in Dyker Heights this morning.
Twelve trucks and 60 firefighters swarmed the building at 1178 72nd Street after the second floor blaze was called in at 11:01am, according to fire officials.
Neighbors say a tipped candle caused the fire.
“It started it in the back and spread to the front of the house,” said John, a neighbor who witnessed the explosion.
A firefighter on the scene told us that the house’s second story windows had to be broken in to gain access to the flames. The fire was brought under control at 11:26am.
Three adults, an elderly couple and their niece who lives in the basement, were removed from the home, according to eyewitnesses. The homeowner, who is a contractor, told us he plans to fix the windows himself.
No injuries were reported, said the FDNY.
Editor’s note: This is a developing story. We will update this post as we learn more.
Additional reporting by Rachel Silberstein.