A Brooklyn contractor has been arrested for sparking the blaze on Friday in Ditmas Park that had traffic backed up on Cortelyou Road.
Though a witness originally heard from firefighters that the flames sparked in the kitchen, Fire Marshals announced that the fire was caused by an illegal propane torch used during roof repair at the apartment building.
#FDNY Fire Marshals: Cause of 4/14 2-alarm fire, 380 E 18 St BK was illegal & reckless use of propane fueled torch during roofing repair job
— FDNY (@FDNY) April 15, 2017
Brooklyn contractor Farooq Rashid, 47, was arrested with arson, reckless endangerment, and tampering with physical evidence, according to FDNY officials.