Southern Brooklyn

Con Ed Releases Guide To “Simplified Certification Process” To Speed Up Service Restoration


Following our post earlier today about the need to have a licensed electrician or plumber certify to the city that your private property could safely handle a restoration of service, we heard a lot of grumbling that the process isn’t clear-cut enough and people are having trouble getting it done. Chaim Deutsch, of the Flatbush Shomrim and Councilman Nelson’s office, sent us the following Con Ed flier being distributed throughout the neighborhood, intended to ease the process.

A simplified process for turn-on requests will speed service restoration to buildings damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Because flood waters and winds can damage privately-owned electric and gas equipment, New York City Building Code requires a licensed electrician or plumber to certify that systems can be energized. This process is coordinated through the NYC Department of Buildings. While we recover from the hurricane, building owners can file a Self Certification Form directly with utilities to restore service faster.

Here are three steps to self-certify:

1. Get your energy equipment inspected, cleaned, and repaired by a licensed contractor.
2. Have your contractor download and complete a Self Certification Form (See links below).

3. E-mail your Self Certification Form to:

Self Certification forms are also available in Customer Outreach vans in communities most affected by flooding. Staff will also accept completed forms.

A service turn-on will be scheduled once the certification form is received.

Questions? Contact Con Edison Energy Services, seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

  • Brooklyn 718-802-6349
  • Manhattan 212-780-3136
  • Queens 718-802-6322
  • Staten Island 718-390-6373 or 718-390-6387

All other service restoration requests will require standard NYC Department of Buildings certification filings.

For issues related to your gas service, call National Grid at 718-643-4050.