Today marks 15 years since the September 11, 2001 attacks. We’re thinking about the entire community who suffered unspeakable loss and express deep gratitude to the community who came together in the face of tremendous adversity.
In addition to visiting the 9/11 Memorial site, the Wall of Remembrance in Coney Island, and pledging to do a good deed, here are some ways to honor the memory of those who were lost and those who helped on that day:
- The Brooklyn/Bedford Park 9/11 Memorial Committee is hosting its annual memorial and candlelight vigil at Bill Brown Park, Avenue X and Bedford Avenue, at 7pm, rain or shine.
- State Senator Martin Golden will host two memorials: in Marine Park, at Fillmore Avenue and Marine Parkway, at 6pm, and then at 7:30pm on the American Veterans Memorial Pier at Shore Road and Bay Ridge Avenue.
- Visit the 9/11 Memorial Square in Asser Levy Park. The park is at Ocean Parkway and Surf Avenue, by the Brighton Beach – Coney Island boardwalk.
- At 4pm, Church of Saint Ann will present the Grace and Spiritus Chorale’s Memorial Concert, with poetry and specially composed music selections. The church is located at 175 Montague Street.
- Bargemusic will hold a free Memorial Concert at 4pm at Brooklyn Bridge Park, featuring music by Music by Bach, Barber, Beethoven, Bottoms, Mozart and Schlefer No reserved seating; doors open at 3:30pm.
If you know of a local memorial service that we missed, please E-mail us at [email protected] or let us know in the comments.